Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Girls Basketball '09-'10

Kurtis has been coaching basketball pretty much since we've been married. He was the JV coach for the Canyon View boys when we lived in Cedar, he coached an 8th grade boys team when we lived in Pocatello, and was the freshman coach for the Delta boys for 3 years. This year he decided to try something new and is the coach for the Delta girls team. To be honest I wasn't quite sure about it at first. I played basketball in high school so I can feel ok about saying this...there's just something about girls & basketball that don't quite mix:) I think I feel that way because I've watched boys basketball for so long. Now having said that, I honestly had so much fun watching the girls play this year and am starting to see that girls & basketball mix a little better than I thought they did:)
I usually feel like the basketball season drags on forever, but this year seemed to go by way fast. I was definitely more nervous than I thought I was going to be. There were a few games that I found myself not being able to sit still and my heart rate rapidly increasing. I guess that's what made it fun!

Our team ended up finishing 3rd in our region so our playoff game was in Salt Lake against Juan Diego. This was the only game I actually took my camera to and Austin took most of the pictures, I was so nervous the whole game I pretty much forgot I even had a camera. I could probably still give a play by play to this game, but of course no one wants to hear that! To make a long story short it was a really close game, we were ahead most of the game, but we ended up losing by nine points. The girls played really well and I just felt so dang bad for them!
We got just a few pictures of the action!

Last week we had the end of year banquet which was really fun. The girls gave the coaches a gift which for Kurtis included a hand mirror so he could check himself out more often, if that's possible:) On one side of the mirror they wrote, "Is that a fat joke?" Pretty much an inside joke kind of thing, but the girls liked to remind Kurtis that he may be just a little larger than he used to be:) That's definitley one big difference between coaching boys and girls...I'm pretty sure when he coached the boys he didn't hear them talk about weight, cankles, tanning, and so forth!


It was a really fun year with a really fun group of girls and we're sad to see it end. But we're already looking forward to next year...and maybe hoping for a better ending!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Holy cow...we loved it too!! It was lots of fun coming to watch the girls. Curtis did a fabulous job and the girls were lucky to have him for a coach. I am sure they had tons of fun. :)

Darla said...

Maybe next year you can be the assistant coach! :)